PRIS 18.200 SEK
Requirements are important. Very important. Requirements are the reason why things get created. Somebody, somewhere, has a need. And a project is created to turn that need into a capability within a service, product, or system that will make that “somebody” a return on their investment. But as the project progresses, needs change – other Stakeholders provide their input and priority, the original vision is crystallised, technical issues arise, schedules move, investment flexes. All of these changes impact the requirements around which everyone is working, and if not managed, these changes can lead to frustration and very often a failed project.
Requirements Management is a discipline that recognises the inevitability of these changes and so provides a set of principles that once understood and introduced into your development process will provide you with a means of handling, measuring and even anticipating change and its impact on your project.
Requirements Management is not over-engineering to the “Nth degree”. Or a bureaucratic process of regimented change control. It is a means by which the requirements for what is needed can be elicited, validated, agreed and understood by all, while being controlled, measured and managed.
This course gives you a holistic appreciation of requirements management and how to transform that need into a resounding success.
You will learn how to take a Stakeholder need and turn it into a solution through proven requirement capture, leveling and validation techniques.
You will see how the Use Cases technique can significantly enhance your ability to define functional requirements.
Understand why “non-functional requirements” might actually be your problem, and how to make them your success.
You will be able to demonstrate how the need was met through end-to-end requirement traceability, and what “end-to-end traceability” really means
How to use “requirements volatility” to control change, and discover where the problems might actually be.
Use requirements as the basis for planning and estimating to really make things happen.
Throughout the course we use an entertaining and thought provoking Case Study through which attendees get to experience first-hand how a simple “CEO’s Vision of need” can lead to conflicting requirements, issues and potential risks. Working in teams, attendees use the requirement management principles and techniques learnt from the course to devise a strategy for how these difficulties can be addressed in creating a proposal back to the CEO.
The course is led by an experienced consultant who uses the Case Study supplemented by standard course material (and anecdotes, when needed!) to guide you through the wide ranging content you won’t find on any other requirements management course.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the principles of Requirements Management and the issues each principle is trying to address
- Appreciate the value of hierarchically structuring requirements Categorize requirements
- Create a Requirements Management Plan that describes how requirements will be identified, structured, traced and managed.
- Identify, elicit, analyze and document requirements at each level of refinement
- Develop a Use Case Model
- Manage changes to requirements through impact analysis techniques
- Use Requirements Volatility as a measure to control scope, understand project risk and predict future changes
- Identify the different types of requirement tracing and understand their use
- Be able to produce an outline delivery plan driven by functional and non-functional priority
- Appreciate the role requirements play in estimating including an appreciation of other factors that influence an estimate
- Business Analysts
- Requirements Managers
- Software Engineers
Introductions and Expectations
What is Requirements Management?
Capturing Stakeholder Needs
Forming the Customer Requirement